March 2, 2010

BookJoy :)

Today is a gloomy, dreary, waterlogged day. It rained and it snowed this morning. Leaving huntsville in a cold slush complete with biting winter winds. But despite the cold and the lack of sunshine, I have found a few happy moments and things.

In 5-points near downtown, there is a little book store aptly named 5Points Books. All the books are used or old library books. The walls are floor to ceiling shelves and the corners are stacked with towers. The owner is a small man who almost disappears behind his desk. The front door doesnt really close and the floors are creeky. But it's one of the best places in huntsville. Needless to say, I bought a book. A poetry book called "101 Poems to get you through the day (and night)" presented by Daisy Goodwin. I literally had to scrape together change from the car and bottom of my purse to get it, but its mine now =)

I guess this would be a Little Pleasures Moment of Happiness. I feel good. Today is a good day.

Aside from getting my new book, there were lots of little things that made me think.



1. "I woulda, You coulda, He shoulda"
I saw these in 5Point Books up on a corner shelf. It made me think, "how often do i say these things? How often do I blame other people for what goes on in my life or what happens to me? How often do I agonize over what wouldve happened if 'I woulda' done something else?"

Why not practice more acceptance. Part of the serenity prayer says "Living one day at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace..." These 'books' brought this to my mind. We each could probably benefit from taking steps to remove 'i woulda, you coulda, and he shoulda' from our daily thought processes... I know I can.

2. Faith Hope Love
When I left 5Point Books, there was a man walking past singing. I couldnt make out the words but the feeling of the song was gospel. Old gospel. Like Swing Low Sweet Chariot... Wade in the Water... old. He walked and sang. The owner of the bookstore said not to pay him any mind because he always does that. I thought... How Beautiful... I wonder how many people take the time to listen to his song. And then, as if the song of this man wasnt enough, he wore a brown coat, like the ones that construction workers wear. He had written a message on the back, "Faith Hope Love" Color me blessed.

3. Three things that made me Smile.Really.Big =D
These books made me almost laugh out loud, but due to the fact that I was in a bookstore, I chose to laugh quietly to myself and take pictures.
The first is 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight' This was the cause of one of my best experiences in high school. A few friends and I made the story into a movie for a class project. The memory itself is enough to crumple me into laughter, but watching the movie o.O is like random acts of artsy-fartsy inside joke havin weird kids + a chicken. =)
The next two photos are stories by Roald Dahl. I heart him. Thats it.
The last photo is 'Oh, the Places You'll Go!' by Dr. Seuss (happy birthday!) My friend Sheree told me to read it, and if it wasnt $17.99+tax i'd buy it. lol. It's a great story.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy [gal] who'll decide where to go."

Dear Dr. Seuss, Youre Awesome. Sincerely, Me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment