July 7, 2010

Spending Out

The concept of ‘spending out’ came from a passage in The Happiness Project. It’s the idea that we should use our possessions instead of saving them. So for me, no more saving that canvas in the corner for that perfect creative moment, no more hoarding fabric for the perfect thing I’ll make one day… no more saving that dress for the perfect outing. None of that! The point is that that perfect whatever might never come.

So use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without! (anon. True Rule)

So now the plan is to stop saving stuff. Im going to use all the resources I have at home. The next time Im in a store and feel the urge to buy a couple yards of fabric trying to take over- I’ll remind myself that I currently have more than enough fabric to cover an F150, lol. Now is the best time to use my things. That ever-illusive perfect whatever is like the horizon… an imaginary line that recedes as you approach it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment