February 26, 2010

Flow

In M. J. Ryan's book "The Happiness Makeover", the feeling a person experiences while wholly consumed by some challenging task is called "flow". Prof. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, of Claremont University was the first to identify flow as a form of happiness. During a moment of flow, we lose ourselves and the only real thing is the task. It is a moment when we are doing exactly what we're meant to at that precise time. It is a moment that feels infinite.

Thursday night I went to my poetry club's Black History Show. At the end, my friend Kibibi and I did a short poetry set.

It was awesome.

The poetry, the stage, and the comraderie of sisters was enough to cause me to release myself and flow. I scarcely feel as alive in my daily life as I do on stage with my poems. And in the span of 1 minute and 15 seconds, I touched the infinite. I touched beauty. It was a blessed moment where I stood using the gift God had given me. And in that moment, there was me, a microphone, a poem, and the universe.

Happiness is submerging yourself within that thng that brings you to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment